Tuesday 22 October 2013

Weekend cooking : Sindhi Khati Dal and Rice

My Friend Siddeshwar Pawar, is also a huge Fan of Eating as well as cooking food. While once we were talking, we came across the conversation about how he prepares the food, when he is at home, and his mother, father and sister enjoys his prepared delicasies. So i also was charged up to cook something special last weekend. When i went home on friday, i told that i will prepare meals on sunday and i told my mother and my wife to guide me. My mother told me the simplest thing to prepare is Sindhi Khati Dal and Rice, so i decided to begin my chef hobby with this. I got up on Sunday, and wanted to begin with my work as early as possible. So i went to mother and told her, "ok, tell me how do i begin?". She said first take the amount of dal and rice and keep it both in water seperately for atlesat 1 hour. That was the beginning. I took out the 2 wati's of Moong Dal, and 2 watis of rice and put it in seperate bowls and kept it for soaking in water for 1 hour. After 1 hour got over, i got in the kitchen again, and i told them , no one will enter the kitchen. You only give me directions. My wife was discussing with my mother, and wondering how will i complete the task. She told me - Kitchen kharab mat kar dena - being my wife's area, she was more worried than any one else. My daughter was dancing from here to there, also wondering what is my dad doing. :)
My mother told me the steps and i started my work. I first started with preparing the dal. I took the cooker and put the water, the water should be little bit more above the dal, and then salt to taste, and a pich of haldi, one big tomato cut in pieces, and i closed the cooker for 7-8 wistles. After 8 wistles, i closed the gas. Till the pressure gets over, and the cookers cover gets opened, i took another cooker, and started preparing rice. I put rice, water that allt he rice is submerged in to it, a pich of salt, and 1 spoon of oil. Close the cooker, and keep it for 4-5 wistles. After 5 wistles, i closed the gas. When i opened Dal's cooker, i had to do lot of work, before the dal was ready. The corriender leaves, neem leaves, ginger, green chili, and imli and kookam, all cut in small pieces, and i put that in to the dal. I stirred it well and put it on gas for giving it good cooking for a flavour. The dal was getting cooked, and then it was time for tadka. I took little jeera, hurba, and hing, put it in little oil in a tadka pan, heated it for a while and put it in the dal. The flavour that came out was out of this world, and my dal and rice were ready to serve hot.

2 comments: